Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Epilogue: Seeing God's Face in the Filipino People

The trip began with a hope of enjoying some rest to be able to get a glimpse of God's face. I would say that I have achieved this goal. I was able to rest from the daily grind of routine in Victoria. It has given me a fresh perspective of what matters, more accurately - who matters. Jesus is all that matters and nothing else.

Everything falls into place once one seeks Jesus. Only he can give his peace. Only he can give his life. Only he can give his rest. And this is all I want and all I can ever need.

I have seen God's face in the flood. I have seen how Filipinos remained resilient in the face of disaster. I have seen how important it is to keep a sense of humor in the midst of pain because all these will end. There is always hope in the midst of suffering. I have seen how ordinary people became heroes because they did what they had to do.

This despite the fact that some of the political leaders are bad examples. You see some of them promoting only themselves at the expense of others. But I believe this is what makes the Filipino who he is. He works and does good despite the bad example of his leaders. Through adversity, the Filipino is able to work on his own and use whatever is available and turn them into good. Despite flood and bad leadership, I saw a country that is on its way to prosperity because it remains focused on Jesus.

There are some politicians with evil intentions. They push for an anti-life campaign. They may have succeeded in one stage, but I hope and pray that the Lord will intervene and frustrate their evil plans. I have seen how some people can call themselves 'Catholics' and still pick and choose what they want to believe. This is a sad reality, not only in the Philippines but anywhere else. I pray the Lord will enlighten them. But unless there is true repentance and humility to accept the teaching (note the singular) of Christ as revealed to his Church, there will never be a change in their hearts.

I have seen God's face in the beauty of the land. Palawan is a glimpse of God's paradise on earth. Its beauty and its people show how much God has given us for our enjoyment and it is our responsibility to take care of God's gift so those who come after us can enjoy them too. God is seen in nature.

God is seen in people whom I know. Who had been generous with their time, money and themselves. Bless the Lord for them. Who took the time, spent their money and opened up their homes and hearts to entertain us. God bless them for their generosity and multiply a hundredfold whatever they had given.

I have seen God in how the nation cleaved to him in the midst of uncertainty and disaster. When Sec. Robredo's plane crashed, almost the entire nation prayed for his safety. When his body was found, the nation mourned the loss of a great man. One of the treasure of the Filipino people is his faith in God. They know who to turn to for help. I pray they do not lose it.

The response to his death and the response to other politicians prove the Filipino knows and can identify a great man from a bad one. What sickens me are politicians who use this tragedy to further their political life. I just hope they are not elected or reelected again - ever! The Filipinos deserve better leaders than these.

The visionary Emma de Guzman spoke about the Philippines being chosen by God to be the light in the darkness. And I believe that based on what I have experienced. I am in no way saying I believe everything she said or does because whatever she says is still subject to scrutiny within the Catholic Church. But I believe in her call to repentance and her call to turn back to Jesus.

The country is experiencing an economic growth and confidence that I have never seen since immediately after EDSA 1986. I pray that the president will be able to remain focused on the righteous way and remain focused on promoting a culture of life. This is the only way to true and full life for the country.

Yes, I have seen a glimpse of God's face - although imperfectly. This is a continuing journey and I hope and pray that I may live a life in his will - so that I can eventually see him face to face.

No comments:

Post a Comment