Friday, August 3, 2012

Day 4: Slow Day and Observations on Filipino Courtesy

Nothing much happened. Went to mass, had my eyes examined and bought a pair of new glasses at my High School classmate's clinic.

One thing I can say is SM really is growing. Everywhere you look there's SM malls or SM whatever. Surprisingly also, there's not a lot of traffic going to SM Centris and back. Maybe it was noon time. But I'm not complaining.

One thing I noted that I forgot to put before is the change in attitude in a lot of Filipinos. Everyone I talk to at stores and even conversations I hear, the people are very courteous. They call you "sir" or "ma'm" and always respond with a "po". I'm not sure where that came from but it is a welcome change.

Another thing I noticed days ago was there is a sense of concern for others. We were coming home from the dentist and there were two boys hanging from the jeepney. And since the jeepney was not full, one of the passengers gave way and told the boys to sit inside the jeepney because it was safer.

Then when a lady in the jeepney was getting off, she was carrying a baby and trying to open the umbrella but could not because of strong wind. One of the guys in the jeepney went down in the rain and opened it for her and helped her down. This was really a welcome sight. Now, how can you translate that to driving courtesy?

One more thing that is making some news is the video of a lady who stopped in the rain to clothe a street child. This is the best video I've seen since I arrived. It was touching and shows that despite the bad times in the country, there are still generous people who care. May God bless her.

I was watching TV about the debate on the RH Bill and the politicians really can lie through their teeth just to push their agenda. I just pray that those who will vote for it will be able to stand before God and justify their decision. I was reading materials about it and there is mention of abortion in the Bill. The Philippines is the only country aside from the Vatican that prohibits abortion. If this bill is passed, I believe, the country will lose its soul just like all countries that have gone this path. They want economic prosperity by limiting the number of people. People should realize, prosperity does not come from anyone except from the Lord. I pray this evil will not happen through God's intervention.

One politician told his fellow law-breakers not to be afraid of the Catholic vote. I say, yes, he is right. They should be afraid of the one who can send them to hell after killing them. I'm not wishing they all go to hell, that is unChristian, but I am saying this as a warning to them so they will not go to hell.

Anyway, it's morning and I plan to go to Sta Cruz for mass, then off to Chinatown.

No comments:

Post a Comment